Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Good Day

Friends, today I feel accomplished. In grad school, that is one of the best feelings you can have. Why do I feel accomplished? It's simple things really, but here are the top three reasons. (Okay, the only three reasons.)

3. I have picked and arranged the day I will give a lecture for the lovely class I TA.

2. I have picked my final paper topic for my Atlantic History course. A tricky but doable topic.

And....


.....


Are you ready?


........


1. I bit the bullet, presented my thesis topic idea to my advisor, and he likes it! And he enthusiastic about it!

This is probably the biggest weight off of my shoulders. I have been stressing over the topic for months and I was unsure if it would be considered doable. But my fears were laid to rest!

Now for a small list of things to do relating to my thesis:

1. Have Graduate Coordinator sign off on my Classified Status.*
2. Organize a thesis committee.
3. Turn in thesis proposal.

*I came into the program as an "Unclassified Student" because my undergraduate education was done at a private university where I did not have to take the
state-approved writing exam. My lovely State University said I had to take the Undergraduate Upper Division Writing Exam because it's required of all state
students, even if they're graduate students. In spring 2008 I gritted my teeth, took the exam, and got a perfect score. Boo-yah! Now that I have over 12 units
completed, I can finally get my status signed off on.

Daily Advice:
Take risks and go with your gut. Any topic is doable. You just need to find your voice.

2 comments:

  1. Ughhh! My computer messed up, so sorry if you get this right. :-P

    Yay!!! I'm so glad you found a topic...and one that your adviser approves of and is excited about! I'm in EXACXTLY the same boat...and it feels good. :-)

    Have you checked with Sue to see whether or not you can do 2 and 3? The reason why I'm asking is I just stopped by her office today and she said that since I still have one more class to go, I can't/shouldn't/don't need to fill out any forms until then. I can go ahead and ask people to be on the committee, but they don't need to sign the official program yet. Anyway, you might wnat to just make sure, but that's what she told me. Once I figure out what my last class is (next semester), I can tell her what it is and then we'll move on to the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, that's supposed to be "sorry if you get this TWICE." :-P

    ReplyDelete