Friday, August 14, 2009

A Graduatory Introduction

Is "graduatory" even a word? Well, it is now because that's the first rule of graduate school: improvise.

This blog of mine is brand new and my intention is to appraise, cheerlead, and (eventually) complain about my graduate school experience. All the while I shall impart my endless amounts of bountiful experience and wisdom that I have gained over the past three (US) semesters as a Master's student:

1. How to read (or skim) hundreds and hundreds of pages of academic text in 5 days.
-I say 5 days because unless you're exceptionally diligent little-to-no reading will done the day of class. However, this statement is null and void if you
are desperately behind and were foolish enough to save the reading for the night before and the day of. Don't lie - we've all done it.


2. How to make ample time for independent research needed for those long end-of-semester papers that we all look forward to and dread at the same time while reading two books a week.

3. How to make ample time for the extra-curricular activities needed to pad the C.V./resume to prove our accomplishments for job searches and Ph.D. applications while reading at least two books a week.

4. How to make ample time for socialization while reading at least two books a week.

This list will undoubtedly grow as the semester wears on. I hope my posts can be relatable and advisable to you other graduate students, but I must state right away that since my focus is history my posts may be geared more towards the humanities/social science folk.

Classes start in 10 days. Until then, it's time for preparation.

More to come!

2 comments:

  1. I followed your link from the lj gradstudent comm, and decided to follow your blog. :) I'm working on my PhD in Ecology and Evolution, so I thought it would be an interesting change to read about grad life in a different field.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, what an intelligent sounding young woman. Whoever could she be???

    ReplyDelete